Numerous communities have traditionally experienced and are still experiencing systemic limitations to outside recreation, together with mountaineering. These communities embrace however aren’t limited to individuals of shade, those who determine as LGBTQIA-2, the differently-abled, those who determine as feminine, and even those who should not have stereotypically athletic physique varieties. As a end result, American Hiking Society shouldn’t be yet reaching its full potential in its advocacy power and our capability to satisfy our mission.
American Hiking Society seeks a qualified marketing consultant or consulting agency to help with the development of a Justice, Equity, Variety, and Inclusion (JEDI) strategy to information future actions as they relate to our mission, packages, program members, social media followers, members, employees, and Board of Directors. AHS is just not in search of to develop into a solely JEDI-focused group, nor to place itself as an professional JEDI organization. Fairly, AHS seeks to position itself as an efficient JEDI ally for the climbing group, bringing JEDI awareness and aware action to its packages, advocacy, and general mission.
The technique ought to:
- Assess inner organizational obstacles to JEDI.
- Educate and practice employees and board on JEDI points and opportunities, particularly within the context of outside recreation, conservation, and the setting, with a view to move AHS toward helping take away those obstacles and as a way to help the employees and board turn into effective JEDI allies.
- Help AHS in creating itself into an effective JEDI ally group for the climbing group by creating a JEDI ally plan that hyperlinks on to the 2020-2024 AHS Strategic Plan and consists of clear JEDI policies for: AHS packages; social media and other advocacy engagement; employees/board recruitment and retention; and efficient partnership with JEDI-focused organizations, interest/affinity groups, and thought leaders/activists.
- Best proposals will outline a one-year initiation plan with several years of lighter follow-up help.
All proposals ought to be submitted to Bradley Ellis, Esq. (Board Chair) at [email protected] by June 30, 2019.
About American Hiking Society
Founded in 1976 as the only nationwide voice of the climbing group, American Hiking’s mission is “Empowering all to enjoy, share, and preserve the hiking experience”. We envision a world the place everybody feels welcome in the American climbing group and has permanent entry to significant mountaineering, together with urban, frontcountry, and backcountry opportunities. We’ll achieve this vision by empowering all communities to take pleasure in, share, and preserve the mountaineering experience; advocating for the protection and enlargement of climbing areas; fostering path stewardship; and collaborating with partners whose strengths are complementary.
AHS is primarily an advocacy-focused nonprofit; nevertheless, we do run a number of volunteer path service packages throughout the country that serve to bolster our advocacy. These packages embrace Volunteer Vacations (week-long service journeys), Various Breaks (week-long service journeys for school students throughout their spring break), and National Trails Day® (a day of path service and advocacy started by AHS in 1993, with over 1000 occasions across the nation).
Main Objectives and Goals
In hiring a JEDI marketing consultant, we seek to interact, empower, and incorporate focused, underrepresented, and marginalized communities in all of our advocacy and programming efforts. The goals we hope to realize are to:
- Educate and practice our employees and Board of Administrators on JEDI, notably in the context of outside recreation, conservation, and the surroundings.
- Diversify our employees and Board of Directors (at present 6 open seats which we want to fill; nominations at present underway with a July 15th deadline; vote to approve new Administrators will happen in October; onboarding of latest Directors happens Jan. 1st of every yr).
- Assessment our Board recruitment and onboarding supplies to ensure JEDI sensitivity.
- Diversify our program members, membership, and social media following.
- Guarantee an applicable, reciprocal relationship with AHS program individuals who determine with communities that have skilled and/or are experiencing systemic limitations to meaningful participation within the climbing group.
- Interact successfully and mindfully as an ally group for the various mountaineering group, together with strategically partnering with JEDI-focused organizations, affinity teams, thought leaders, and activists.
AHS has already began toward positioning itself as a JEDI ally within the climbing group. We’ve got:
- Ensured recruitment of a numerous set of candidates for our NextGen Trail Leaders activist ambassador program for 18-40 yr previous rising stars in outside recreation, conservation, and JEDI in the outdoor.
- For the primary time in 2018, partnered on Various Break with an Historically Black College.
- Launched in 2019 an Various Break scholarship for a faculty whose population is usually underrepresented in the outdoor, with plans to deepen that scholarship in partnership with a JEDI-focused group in 2020.
- Diversified the pictures in our advertising and social media engagement.
- Prioritized collection of authentic content from our packages featuring numerous participant teams to use in promotional materials.
- Signed Teresa Baker’s Outside CEO Variety Pledge in summer time 2018, when it was launched.
- Have partnered with JEDI-focused organizations, affinity teams, thought leaders, and activists on numerous campaigns.
- Have initiated and are offering administrative and advocacy help for a non-branded JEDI Policy Working Group, bringing together thought leaders, organizations, and activists to propose language to incorporate in an upcoming Outside Recreation package deal in the Senate.
Areas for Improvement
Regardless of our intentional and aware begin to serving as a JEDI ally for the climbing group, we nonetheless have a long option to go. We recognize the next areas that need enchancment, although we do not contemplate this to be an exhaustive listing:
- We’ve got no formal JEDI plan for the group.
- We have now no individuals of colour on our employees and just one individual of shade presently on our Board of Administrators.
- Our employees and Board of Administrators have not had any formal JEDI training or schooling.
- The reciprocity of our relationship with program members who determine with communities which have experienced and/or are experiencing systemic limitations to significant participation within the climbing group needs strengthening.
- Without a formal JEDI plan that features coverage, we’re unable to interact on JEDI points which might be notably fraught and run the danger of mis-stepping in engagement on seemingly “uncomplicated” JEDI points and opportunities.
Please embrace the next in your proposal:
- Background on business/group (or professional background if unbiased advisor):
- (Firm) identify, tackle, and mission statement.
- Names and roles of consultants who would work on this undertaking, their resumes (or LinkedIn page if complete), and their social media handles if professionally related.
- Years in enterprise, ownership structure, complete variety of staff, proportion of staff who are individuals of colour, proportion of leadership positions occupied by individuals of colour.
- Demonstrated capability to work with a large variety of stakeholders, together with examples of groups with whom you’ve got worked/are working on JEDI plans.
- Proposed consulting structure, workplan, last product, timeline, and construction of ongoing help.
- Price range estimate:
- General value with justification.
- Hourly price for marketing consultant(s).
- Value for ongoing help.
- (Elective) Proposals for three totally different levels of output and help.
- Unbiased consultants might be happy to hitch collectively in a joint proposal, appearing as one staff, but there have to be a clear cost construction specified by the proposal.
Proposal Submissions and Selection Course of
Proposal submissions must be emailed to Bradley J. Ellis, Esq. at [email protected] no later than end of day June 30, 2019. Please embrace all contact info for the primary level of contact, who ought to have the ability to make legally-binding selections for the corporate/marketing consultant.
The AHS Board of Directors will assessment all proposals and will schedule video-conference interviews with a last choice of candidates. By no means does your (company’s) submission of a proposal bind American Hiking Society to any contractual obligation in any way. AHS reserves the appropriate to reject at any time and for any cause, all or any proposals acquired as a results of this RFP.
The Bidder shall not, with out the prior written consent of American Hiking Society, disclose or make obtainable to any individual, aside from AHS employees, or use, instantly or indirectly, apart from the efficiency and implementation of the work, any Confidential Info (as hereinafter outlined) acquired from an Info Holder (as hereinafter defined) in connection with the performance of this contract, until:
- The knowledge is understood to the Bidder (as evidenced by its written data) prior to acquiring the identical from an Info Holder and shouldn’t be in any other case subject to disclosure restrictions on bidder; or
- The knowledge is within the public area prior to the time of disclosure by the Bidder; or
- The knowledge is disclosed to the Bidder by a third social gathering who didn’t receive the same, instantly or indirectly, from an Info Holder and who as no obligation of secrecy with respect thereto.
As used herein, the term “Confidential Information” shall imply any info, written or oral, in regards to the undertaking, referring to or consisting of processes, methods, procedures, designs, drawings, plans, diagrams, specs, pc packages, methods, expertise, trade secrets, and different technical knowledge, undertaking info, insurance policies and contracts (together with this contract), and any finding or knowledge from the venture that AHS does not wish publicly launched. The time period “Information Holder” shall mean vendors, Bidders, and subcontractors, of any tier, and some other social gathering dealing with American Hiking Society or such authority.