Hopefully you have been inspired by my travel guide of Zakynthos Island to discover and discover the Ionian Islands of Greece!
They are really simply as lovely because the cyclades islands on the opposite aspect! If anything, I really feel that these islands particularly have been more relaxed, less touristy and more authentically Greek!
- 1 Kefalonia Island
- 2 So, when is one of the best time to visit Kefalonia?
- 3 How do I get to Kefalonia Island?
- 4 Where ought to I keep?
- 5 What’s one of the simplest ways to get around the island?
- 6 So, what is there to see and do on Kefalonia Island?
- 7 Day 1
- 8 Petani Seashore
- 9 Myrtos Seashore
- 10 Assos
- 11 Fiscardo
- 12 Day 2
- 13 Attempt the pastries at Spathis Bakery
- 14 Citadel of St George
- 15 Makris Gialos Seashore
- 16 Attempt some American delicacies at Mel’s
- 17 Day Three
- 18 Melissani Cave
- 19 Antisamos Seashore
- 20 Drive and explore some extra of that beautiful shoreline!
- 21 Day 4
- 22 Argostoli City
- 23 So, when are you going to Kefalonia Island?
Kefalonia is the most important Ionian island and could be very well-liked in Greece on account of it picturesque villages and beautiful exotic beaches.
It is the good Greek island for a holiday catering to each households and couples, where even in vacationer excessive season, because of the measurement of the island, it nonetheless maintains its laid back and enjoyable way of life.
So, when is one of the best time to visit Kefalonia?
We went to Kefalonia Island on our Three-week Greece honeymoon again in September 2016. Upon arrival onto the island we occurred to satisfy a fellow Sydney-sider who was born on Kefalonia and comes back to visit every few years for a couple of months at a time.
In accordance with him, September and October have been the most effective occasions to visit Kefalonia Island, as via the Summer time months from June-August, is it scorching scorching (which let’s be trustworthy, not a fantastic feeling to be scorching and sweaty and travelling round!) and a lot more tourists are on the island. He advised us that we had chosen the right time to travel to Kefalonia, because the climate was simply good and there have been less and fewer tourists visiting the island.
How do I get to Kefalonia Island?
There are a couple of options for travellers to journey to Kefalonia Island together with:
- Fly: We flew from Argostoli Airport back to Athens with Olympic Air. Beware that flights between Athens and the Ionian Islands may be fairly expensive until you’re fortunate enough to score an affordable deal. Additionally remember that there aren’t many flights going back to Athens; with Olympic Air particularly there were only two flights going again to Athens on that day, one flight late-morning and in addition a night flight.
- Ferry: We have been travelling from Zakynthos Island, so we caught the ferry from Zante to Kyllini (mainland Greece) which took approximately one hour; for one individual the ticket worth was roughly 9 euros. We then caught one other ferry from Kyllini to Poros (Kefalonia) with Kefalonian Strains which took roughly one hour and fifteen minutes; this ferry ticket value approximately 10 euros. For all ferries you should purchase tickets from the ticket workplace on the day of departure, simply be sure to verify on-line for what occasions the ferry leaves and allow sufficient time to get to the port together with your baggage and purchase tickets. In the event you discover you’re brief on time, I extremely advocate booking your ferry tickets prematurely.
- Drive: Alternatively, you could select to rent a automotive from Athens and drive to Kyllini yourselves to then get the ferry. Should you do have the time to spare on your trip (a 3.5 hour drive!), and the additional bills resembling petrol and car-ferry ticket and you do need to absorb extra of mainland Greece, then be happy to go for it! Most of the locals who do stay on the Western aspect of the island will drive to Kyllini after which get on the ferry with their automotive to Kefalonia Island, which for them is more convenient. WE found that it was quite a bit easier to select up your rent automotive whenever you get on the island.
Issues to concentrate on when deciding how you’re attending to Kefalonia Island:
In planning for our honeymoon, we needed to do various research into how we have been getting to the island first off, after which how we have been going to get from one aspect of the island to the other.
In the long run, the way you get there and journey round is no matter works greatest for you and your schedule. That is what we did, so I hope it helps you!
- Ferries from Kyllini with Kefalonian Strains (foremost ferry company) will solely stop at Sami or Poros, that are cities both situated on the Japanese aspect of the island. For us we needed to get as close to Argostoli, which is the primary metropolis on Kefalonia Island, situated on the Western aspect.
- To get to Argostoli we took a ferry from Kyllini (mainland Greece) to Poros, and then caught the general public bus to Argostoli’s essential bus station, then received on an airport bus to get to Argostoli Airport, the place we then picked up our rent automotive. We weren’t too organised with our rent automotive and booked it last minute, so we have been unable to select up the automotive from Poros port. Most automotive hire corporations you’ll be able to choose the handle or location you need to decide up your hire automotive from. In our case, we had a bit of a longer journey!
- The journey from Poros to Argostoli on the public bus takes approximately one hour and you should purchase your bus tickets once you get on the bus (ensure you have some cash on you). The public bus that you simply get from Poros was truly on the ferry we have been on, so don’t worry about missing your bus, because will probably be proper there once you get off!
- Remember the public bus to Argostoli from Poros and vice versa will only run three buses per day throughout weekdays (Mon-Fri) and solely two buses per day on the weekend (Sat-Sun). Please look online and verify the timetables!
- In mild of all of this info I have just given you, ensure you do your analysis ahead of time and permit loads of time to journey to varied ports together with your baggage and enough time to purchase your tickets and then walk to the ferry.
Where ought to I keep?
There are in fact plenty of locations to remain on Kefalonia Island, and depending on your itinerary you may determine to stay on a couple of totally different places on the island.
On our honeymoon, we determined that we needed to base ourselves in one location on the island, and discover the island with our rent automotive. Though Kefalonia island is the most important of the Ionians, to drive from the southern finish (Skala) of the island to the northern finish (Fiskardo) of the island solely takes approximately two hours.
We based mostly ourselves in probably the most widespread towns on the island, Argostoli. We booked an Airbnb house for the week, which had an unimaginable view.
You’ll find the Airbnb we stayed at right here: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/5847750?s=oURm0wpK
Argostoli is a reasonably central city to the complete island, and we drove each day to a special a part of the island which might only take an hour an a half at most! Argostoli itself is a stupendous city and I extremely advocate spending an entire day right here exploring. There are many cool restaurants, cafes and unimaginable bakeries Argostoli, and in addition in the nearby city of Lassi, in case you are feeling like something totally different!
What’s one of the simplest ways to get around the island?
One of the simplest ways to get round on Kefalonia Island is to hire a automotive and drive!
I highly advocate booking your rent automotive prematurely as it IS one of the simplest ways to get round and explore the island. We spent 4 full days driving around Kefalonia Island and we only crammed up with petrol once, once we have been returning the automotive to the airport.
Unfortunately the public transport system on Kefalonia island is just too rare for travellers to use, which is why hiring a automotive is so common on the island.
So, what is there to see and do on Kefalonia Island?
We coated a lot of the island in simply 4 days, and we felt that was plenty of time to sightsee, eat, drink and in addition loosen up, without feeling like every thing was crammed in! As I stated above, you’ll be able to cover one finish of the island to the other in about two hours.
Four days exploring Kefalonia Island was similar to our travels on Zakynthos Island; plenty of beautiful coastal drives, frequent trips to the bakery, seashore hopping, Greek cuisine consuming, photograph taking and just basic enjoyable!
Here is a detailed itinerary of our four days on Kefalonia Island:
Since we have been tremendous excited to be on Kefalonia Island, we packed in various driving and sightseeing on our first day!
Our first cease, roughly 50 minutes from Argostoli was Petani Seashore!
We drove right down to the seashore itself, and soon realised that it was very crowded with individuals, there was no room for parking and the street was very slender! We quickly rotated and targeted on the spectacular views from above!
One of many primary reasons travellers go to Kefalonia Island is to see the famous Myrtos Seashore! On our driving street journey of Kefalonia Island, Myrtos seashore was solely an extra 45 minute drive from Petani Seashore.
Myrtos Seashore has been featured in multiple journey magazines amongst a number of the most lovely seashores in Greece and beaches all over the world. Identical to Navagio Seashore (Shipwreck Seashore) in Zakynthos, Myrtos seashore can also be some of the in style photographed beaches in Greece.
When you’re driving to Myrtos seashore is it essential that you simply pull over (and there’s plenty of area to take action) to the viewing point where you possibly can see Myrtos seashore from above and take some pictures! The view of the seashore, surrounded by impressive white rocky cliffs makes it a very spectacular sight.
After taking some pictures from above, why not stop for a swim and chill out on the seashore? Remember that the seashore doesn’t have a lot sand, it’s primarily a pebble seashore, but nonetheless still lovely to visit.
One thing we couldn’t shake when visiting the beaches on Kefalonia Island was the quantity of bees surrounding the seashores! We have been freaking out that we’d get stung by one! So simply remember they like to hang around!
For those who drive an hour from Myrtos Seashore you will arrive on the tiny, lovely and colourful city of Assos! Assos is a small and charming town on Kefalonia Island with solely 100 residents! What I beloved about Assos was the colourful houses by the water and the peaceable environment.
Round a 30-minute drive from Assos is the seaside city of Fiscardo, situated on the northern tip of Kefalonia Island. It is the lovely harbour and peaceful environment in Fiscardo that appeal to each conventional boats and opulent yachts through the Summer time months to this seaside city.
If you’d like an excellent pitstop for lunch, there are various restaurants and cafes to select from and a stroll along the harbour is a should!
On day 2 we opted to remain relatively shut for a leisurely day around city and a soothing afternoon on the seashore!
Attempt the pastries at Spathis Bakery
One of many locations we frequented for breakfast, lunch, brunch, afternoon tea, and just about any time of day was Spathis Bakery in Argostoli. The moment you walk in, your tastebuds are tempted for all types of pastries and candy treats to satisfy those cravings! With so many meals decisions, it’s literally unimaginable to choose on just one go to, so I’ve decided you need to go multiple occasions to pattern as many issues off the menu as attainable!
Citadel of St George
In case you are in search of lovely views, I extremely advocate you make a short go to to the Venetian Fort of St George, located above the town of Peratata a few 30 minute drive from Argostoli. It’s FREE entry to wander the grounds of the citadel to see the ruins, so should you’re in search of something FREE to do across the area, this may be it!
Makris Gialos Seashore
Of all of the beaches we visited on Kefalonia Island, Makris Gialos Seashore was one in every of our favourites! It had real sand (we have been getting sick of pebbles!) good for enjoyable and lovely crystal blue water good for swimming! This seashore is a few seven minute drive from the town of Argostoli, so it was good for us once we have been craving that seashore day!
This photograph of Makris Gialos seashore was taken on our GoPro!
Attempt some American delicacies at Mel’s
We absolutely love Greek delicacies and had been consuming it quite a bit on our honeymoon, and typically you simply want just a little change! We searched on Trip Advisor and low and behold we discovered a cool American diner restaurant by the identify of Mel’s in the city of Lassi, a few 5 minute drive from Argostoli.
They have one of the best smoothies and we completely loved consuming our burgers, with our little cat pal to maintain us firm! For those who’re in search of one thing a bit totally different, attempt a meal at Mel’s.
Some of the fashionable vacationer points of interest on Kefalonia Island is the natural phenomenon which is Melissani Cave. Melissani cave is situated simply outdoors the city of Sami, on the japanese aspect of Kefalonia Island. It took us around 45 minutes to drive to Melissani Cave from Argostoli town.
Once you arrive at Melissani Cave there’s plenty of parking in the event you’re driving, and then you definitely stroll to cave the place you pay 7 euros per individual for entry. You stroll down some stairs and then an extended ramp to the bottom of the cave, the place you’ll be taken on a 15 minute boat journey via the cave. As you’ll be able to see from my photographs, the go to was totally value it!
Melissani Cave is an underground rocky cave with crystal clear water around 20-30 metres deep, surrounded by timber and forest. What makes Melissani Cave so magical and enchanting is when the sun shines over the cave through the middle of the day; the solar hits the crystal clear water and creates the phantasm of the cave being crammed with blue mild.
In case you’re driving from Melissani Cave, Antisamos seashore is just a 15 minute drive away. Antisamos Seashore is likely one of the largest beaches on Kefalonia Island, making it very fashionable for swimming, sunbathing and water actions similar to kayaking and paddle boarding.
Drive and explore some extra of that beautiful shoreline!
Driving across the island you’re guaranteed to see beautiful shoreline views identical to this!
Our last day was spent exploring Argostoli, the capital of Kefalonia Island.
Be certain that in your Kefalonia Island itinerary that you simply embrace a day to explore and benefit from the capital of Kefalonia Island, Argostoli. As you noticed earlier, we had a stunning view from above of the town from our Airbnb house, and the town is simply as beautiful from the waterfront as properly.
In case you are on the lookout for an awesome place to buy, then head on over to the paved road of Lithostroto the place you can find loads of clothes and jewelry outlets and of course traditional and genuine Greek souvenirs to take residence at the tourist outlets.
Have lunch or dinner at Ladokolla
In case you are on the lookout for someplace to eat, there isn’t any scarcity of locations to try this! There are plenty of cafes and restaurants on the waterfront for nice dining, however should you’re on the lookout for some delicious and mighty tasty Greek cuisine away from the crowds, be sure to go to Ladokolla, rated by Trip Advisor as the primary restaurant in Argostoli. We ate right here greater than as soon as and absolutely LOVED the meals, and the costs have been nicely within our finances!
Stroll along De Bosset Bridge
De Bosset Bridge is among the major points of interest and sights to see in Argostoli Town. It’s the largest stone bridge on a sea water physique and was constructed in 1813 by a Swiss engineer by the identify of Charles Philippe De Bosset.
Taking a stroll alongside this bridge is among the greatest methods to see the great thing about Argostoli, and let’s be trustworthy, it’s fairly a romantic stroll.
Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi
Whereas we have been randomly looking on Journey Advisor of other issues to see in Argostoli, we have been pointed to the Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi, a few 15 minute drive from town. We decided to return here at sundown and what a lovely sight it was!
So, when are you going to Kefalonia Island?
Hopefully this submit has unquestionably convinced you that the Ionian Islands is the place it’s at in Greece! The Ionian Islands have so much to offer travellers when it comes to scenic magnificence, rest, superb meals and nice individuals.
Have you been to Kefalonia Island earlier than?
What was your favorite place to go to when you have been there?