So, you’re getting married! Congratulations!
That second you get engaged to the individual of your goals you start enthusiastic about the gown, flowers, church, reception, hair and make-up, bridal social gathering, bridal shower or kitchen tea, hens night time out and all of those fantastic things which might be needed to plan the right wedding ceremony, but….
Have you thought about the honeymoon already?
After travelling to over 35 nations (and my future husband travelling to over 40 nations!), booking the honeymoon and deciding the place to go was probably the most essential (and exciting!) things to do!
At this time on the blog I hope to be of assistance to those who are at present planning their honeymoon or actually simply need to plan a romantic journey away with their spouse!
A variety of the things in this publish are the issues I’ve learnt via the process of booking my own honeymoon and I hope these will assist you with planning yours!
- 1 Step 1: Secure your wedding ceremony date FIRST, before you start booking your honeymoon
- 2 Step 2: Permit a number of days to spend collectively after your wedding ceremony BEFORE you go on your honeymoon
- 3 Step Three: Get out your world map and talk about
- 4 Step four: Slender down your listing to your Prime 3 and decide one!
- 5 Step 5: Determine how lengthy you need to be away for
- 6 Step 6: Analysis!
- 7 Step 7: Finances
- 8 Step 8: Create a Draft Itinerary
- 9 Step 9: Examine your passport!
- 10 Step 10: Guide your honeymoon prematurely
- 11 Step 11: Do NOT ebook too many activities
- 12 Step 12: Honeymoon = Bragging Rights!
- 13 Step 13: Surprise your spouse with one thing particular…
- 14 Step 14: Chill out!
- 15 Step 15: Take pleasure in!
- 16 Over to you!
Step 1: Secure your wedding ceremony date FIRST, before you start booking your honeymoon
My advice for couples who are planning to go on their honeymoon after their wedding ceremony is after you have secured your wedding ceremony date, then ebook your honeymoon. I do know of many couples that get very excited they are getting married, in order that they e-book their honeymoon right away, after which realise they are unable to secure a marriage date close sufficient. Whenever you safe your wedding ceremony date first, you then know the precise dates and time interval by which you can be away in your honeymoon. Then again, when you’re planning your honeymoon some months after your wedding ceremony, then you definitely can e-book everytime you like!
The time of yr can drastically have an effect on the place you determine to go on your honeymoon. For instance, in Australia if my husband and I had been married in December (our Summer time), it might have been a ghost town in Oia, Santorini (the place we needed to go), as it’s purely a Summer time vacation spot and over the chilly Winter months there usually are not many locations open and very few individuals around, so we obtained married in August and have been capable of travel to Greece during their Summer time/Autumn season while the climate was nonetheless beautiful! We have been after a Summer time destination that was warm and enjoyable.
Step 2: Permit a number of days to spend collectively after your wedding ceremony BEFORE you go on your honeymoon
After you have locked in your wedding ceremony date, ensure you depart a couple of days to spend in a lodge room in your city (or in your personal place) to “recover” and spend some much wanted time collectively BEFORE you go on your honeymoon.
There’s nothing worse than turning up to the airport early when you’re drained and exhausted out of your wedding ceremony day the day earlier than. Permit some time to truly take pleasure in one another and unwind from the large day before your embark on your journey collectively.
WHAT WE DID:
My husband and I stayed two nights on the Shangri-La Lodge in Sydney and by far it is among the fanciest motels we now have ever stayed at! We requested a corner Premier Grand Harbour view room the place we had a view of not solely the Sydney Opera Home but in addition the Sydney Harbour bridge! (pictured above). We have been each so joyful we determined to spend the money on one thing so special for our wedding ceremony night time.
We then headed back to our little granny flat for one night time after that so we might loosen up and end packing our luggage, making sure we had packed the whole lot prepared for our honeymoon.
Step Three: Get out your world map and talk about
If in case you have no concept where you need to go on your honeymoon, get out the world map or do a Google seek for “honeymoon destinations” and record the locations you’d LOVE to go to (either domestic or international).
Don’t assume simply yet about how much it’ll value because you only do an incredible honeymoon as soon as, and it is higher that you simply each go somewhere you completely love!
WHAT WE DID:
There are infinite decisions for honeymoon destinations everywhere in the world, however my husband and I already knew exactly where we needed to go. The step above is a guide should you discover you’re stuck and can’t determine the place to go, but if you realize precisely the place you need to go identical to we did, then skip this step and the subsequent one!
Step four: Slender down your listing to your Prime 3 and decide one!
After you have written an inventory of places you want to go to on your honeymoon, slender down your decisions to your prime three journey destinations and decide one! The travel vacation spot you choose in your honeymoon is completely based mostly on your private preferences; it’s your honeymoon so you can go wherever you need to.
You could determine to splurge on your honeymoon and e-book a heavenly and completely romantic stay someplace unimaginable like the Maldives (my brother and sister-in-law did that!) OR you might determine to maintain to a selected finances and have a bit of both worlds. There are such a lot of issues that can influence your selections of the place to go, however ensure you go somewhere you really want to go, don’t accept lower than what you want!
but when you really can’t select a vacation spot…
perform some research into your prime three destinations, and see if those locations have what you’re in search of. If it’s the cash you’re frightened about, then don’t fear! There’s all the time a option to e-book a honeymoon the place you gained’t break the bank! Analysis and put collectively some value comparisons to assist slender your search.
WHAT WE DID:
We had the perfect of each worlds; we determined to go to Greece, a country we both had all the time desired to go for our honeymoon. I had heard that the town of Oia in Santorini was VERY costly to stay so I did my research on quite a number of lodges and discovered this was undoubtedly true!
In the long run I tried researching on Airbnb and found the right cave home that came with its personal personal terrace and jacuzzi which was absolutely good for us! (pictured under). For this a part of our honeymoon, we splurged, and it is extremely healthy to have a splurge part of the trip (its your honeymoon and also you deserve it!). For the remainder of our adventures across the Greek islands, we booked price range Airbnb flats and nonetheless had an unimaginable time away! Determine what works greatest for you.
Step 5: Determine how lengthy you need to be away for
Talk about and determine together with your companion how lengthy you need to be away for on your honeymoon. Take into consideration this collectively and dream just a little; on an superb honeymoon for the each of you, how lengthy would you really wish to be away for?
Ideally, I feel every week is just too brief as it goes so shortly! I feel ten days up to two weeks is ample period of time to unwind, chill out and spend some quality time together.
Once more, how long you need to be away is up to your personal preferences, or how long work will can help you be away. I do know of some couples are capable of embark upon a 3-6 month honeymoon and other couples only have enough time to go away for 10 days most because that is how long work will permit.
WHAT WE DID:
We decided to go away for about three weeks. We each worked informal jobs at the time so we have been capable of simply get day off from work and go on our honeymoon for a time that wasn’t too brief or too lengthy (although coming again to actuality after the honeymoon, we have been still wishing we have been away!).
Step 6: Analysis!
Now that you simply’ve decided the place you’re going and the way lengthy for, it’s time to analysis the whole lot there’s find out about your chosen honeymoon vacation spot.
Some ideas to start out your honeymoon destination research:
- Flight prices: I personally use Skyscanner for value comparisons from multiples airlines
- Flight PRICE MATCH: In the event you e-book a flight by way of Qantas instantly and also you see the identical actual flights with the same dates, occasions and Qantas flight numbers at a lesser worth on one other website, you can submit a type for a worth match and get a refund of the distinction.
- Inner flights: We have been travelling between islands in Greece, so we took quite a couple of inner flights! For those who do your research on native price range airlines, you may find yourself an affordable deal!
- Whether you need to keep in the same place all through your honeymoon or you need to move from place to put and explore extra of the country: Perhaps you’ve gotten your coronary heart set on an overwater bungalow in the Maldives and that’s all you need to do! However, you might need to spend a couple of days exploring the primary city of Malé, and THEN go to your overwater bungalow. We decided that in Greece, we needed to explore the capital city of Athens for a couple of days and then spend the remainder of the time island hopping.
- Things to see and issues to do: Speak together with your associate about what actions (if any!) that you simply want to do when you’re away. I know most couples on their honeymoon determine to loosen up and benefit from the environment, while others wish to get on the market and do issues! We had a mix of sightseeing, enjoyable and swimming on our honeymoon which was the right stability! It truly is up to you!
- Lodging: Analysis where you need to keep and what sort of lodging fits you. Remember that some lodges can be quite costly depending on the destination and time period you’re going. Ensure you all the time READ THE REVIEWS on any accommodation before booking so you understand exactly what you’re going to get! On Airbnb, I can truthfully say you may be stunned at what one can find for accommodation. We stayed at a very pretty condo on Kefalonia Island with a shocking view of the town (pictured under). In case you are going someplace tropical/seashore/heat on your honeymoon you may need to think about if the Airbnb condominium has air con, and good wifi. My husband and I spent a lot of days enjoyable at the seashore and coming again to our accommodation to utilize the free wifi and watch films on Netflix. Again, it’s solely up to you and what sort of honeymoon you need.
- Public Transport (if applicable): To journey between the Greek Islands we had to take the ferry, and found it very useful to have research numerous ferry corporations and their prices before going away. A few of the ferries we booked prematurely to save lots of time (and problem!) whereas we have been away.
- Climate: Ensure you analysis the time of yr you’re travelling on your honeymoon and what the weather can be like, it can assist offer you an concept of what things to pack in your luggage! We have been in Greece in September, so it was on the end of the Summer time interval but still really scorching!
Step 7: Finances
Assuming you’ve already discussed together with your companion a few tough wedding ceremony price range, please additionally contemplate a price range on your honeymoon! I see time and time once more many couples who spend a hefty sum of money on the wedding day and realise that they do not have a lot left over for his or her honeymoon.
For my part, as a lot as the marriage day is wonderfully special and intimate, I feel the honeymoon is equally as essential. I consider spending that high quality time collectively alone on your honeymoon is vitally essential to start out building your marriage.
WHAT WE DID:
My husband and I budgeted around $10Okay AUD for our honeymoon for three weeks in Greece. We allowed ourselves to splurge on one specific lodging (a cave house in Santorini!), after which budgeted our lodging and food expenses on the opposite islands (using Airbnb and finding low cost eats on Journey Advisor!).
Step 8: Create a Draft Itinerary
Now that you’ve your honeymoon destination, period and you’ve got researched a lot your brain is fried, it is now time to create your first draft journey itinerary!
Create a draft journey itinerary inclusive of a departure and arrival timeline, flights, location e.g. Athens or Santorini, where you’re staying, public transport (if applicable), necessary notes, prices and your honeymoon price range, activities and another necessary belongings you need to add.
WHAT WE DID:
My husband likes to make use of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets for every thing, together with each our wedding ceremony and our honeymoon itinerary. It was an easy strategy to organise the whole lot, particularly once we have been calculating our costs alongside the best way.
Here is a screenshot of our honeymoon journey itinerary in Microsoft Excel:
Step 9: Examine your passport!
Women, it is much simpler to go on your honeymoon in your maiden identify, in case you are later planning to vary your identify to his surname. Getting your identify modified on your passport earlier than the wedding can be a problem, especially when you’ve gotten one million different things to think about with the wedding day.
Ensure that your maiden identify is on the aircraft tickets, it HAS TO match your passport! Additionally be sure to examine that your passport has more than six months left till expiry, in any other case chances are you’ll not have the ability to travel!
Step 10: Guide your honeymoon prematurely
Be sure to plan and guide your honeymoon prematurely.
On our honeymoon in Greece we had to e-book our cave home in Oia, Santorini 6 months prematurely! Because of Oia being one of the well-liked honeymoon locations on the planet, the motels and particularly Airbnb flats guide up very quickly!
Ebook no less than your flights and “splurge” lodging properly prematurely so that you don’t miss out!
Step 11: Do NOT ebook too many activities
Whenever you begin researching on your honeymoon, you find yourself finding all of those superb things to see and do, and you’re so overcome with pleasure that you simply simply need to do them all! STOP! BREATHE!
My recommendation is that although sightseeing and doing enjoyable activities is superb when travelling, do them carefully on your honeymoon. My husband and I went jet snowboarding in the future of our honeymoon and as we drove across the islands we stopped once we needed to and took time to absorb the gorgeous sights with out feeling exhausted or rushed!
For my part, a honeymoon is a time to unwind from the marriage and luxuriate in doing nothing and not having to think about a wedding anymore! You can nonetheless guide activities and new experiences together with your spouse, however be certain that to maintain them to a minimal. There’s nothing worse than getting back from your honeymoon and also you’re exhausted!
Step 12: Honeymoon = Bragging Rights!
BRAG about being on your honeymoon when you’re on your honeymoon, you’ll get the oohs and aaahs PLUS you will (hopefully!) get the royal remedy! It might come in the form of an improve or special discounts, who is aware of! The chances are countless!
We acquired a small dessert (a very yummy cake!) within the Sydney Qantas First Class international Lounge on the house to congratulate us and have fun our honeymoon! It was an exquisite approach to begin our epic journey to the Greek Islands!
Step 13: Surprise your spouse with one thing particular…
Your honeymoon is the right time to focus on one another, and that includes within the bedroom! It doesn’t harm to but one thing special (and a bit of attractive!) to shock your new spouse!
Step 14: Chill out!
Okay, studying all of this info is thrilling/overwhelming/#icantbelieveimgettingmarried
Take a deep breath and keep in mind, your honeymoon is what you make of it and it’s important that the main target stays on the 2 of you having fun with time spent together.
While you’re on your honeymoon, don’t take into consideration what you must do if you get house, or dreading the considered going back to work (despite the fact that it can be super troublesome, I know my thoughts went there a couple of occasions whereas we have been away!). Clear your mind, and focus on enjoyable and enjoying your time together with your partner.
Step 15: Take pleasure in!
Have probably the most fantastic time on your honeymoon! You deserve this particular time away together with your partner, it’s undoubtedly the greatest start to married life.
Over to you!
Have you ever already planned out your honeymoon? Where on the planet are you going? OR Have you already been on your honeymoon and can share some pearls of wisdom for many who are planning?
Depart a remark under!
P.S I do very a lot recognize suggestions on on my weblog, so when you enjoyed this publish and located it helpful in any method, then please depart a remark under and share this publish with somebody who is needing that honeymoon planning steerage!