Nicely, it has undoubtedly been a while since I’ve revealed any articles on my journey weblog. There are a few causes for that…
- My important ardour (educating): I acquired provided a short lived educating job at my faculty educating music and drama and later in the yr received provided a Kindergarten class for a term which has really been a huge learning curve for me and an awesome step in the subsequent course in creating my educating career. Sadly, my little journey weblog has had to take a again seat for some time as I have been focusing my time and power on my career.
- My husband: As of March 2017, only simply 7 months after we had simply married, my husband had been experiencing 24/7 headaches/migraines and needed to cease working, and we spent the remainder of 2017 seeing many various docs and making an attempt quite a few drugs to get a definitive analysis of what he has. As of November 2017, my husband was recognized with Occipital Neuralgia, a situation where the nerves that run from the top of the spinal twine up via the scalp, referred to as the occipital nerves, are inflamed or injured. My husband lives with 24/7 ache in his eye and in his head and is unable to go away the home, go to work or socialise with buddies without his ache getting amplified. The yr 2017 has been a very robust yr on the both of us, and since my husband and my job took priority, I didn’t have any spare time to put in writing and prepare content material for you all (sorry!).
I am not making any promises or “new year’s resolutions” that I will do higher to repeatedly and often update this blog on what we’re doing, as a result of as I’ve all the time stated, I am enthusiastic about my career in the beginning after which journey, so in 2018 I’m going to be focusing on having my very own Kindergarten class for the primary time and focus on creating my profession as a faculty instructor. Also, my husband’s health is presently up in the air and that’s and can all the time be my prime priority, to take care of him throughout this robust season.
What I can promise you is that I will update and proceed to share my adventures, stories and journey ideas on this blog once I can. I DO at present, have some draft blog posts that I’ve been sitting on for some time now that I can’t wait to share with you and that I hope you will see that insightful, inspirational and in addition helpful. I DO at present, have more weblog submit concepts sitting in my head that I need to write additionally, so please do stick round!
Regardless of the challenges we’ve got confronted this yr with my husband’s well being, we did handle to verify some issues off our bucketlist this yr on our Round the World (RTW) trip in January 2017 before he acquired sick and we additionally had opportunities this yr to discover Sydney a bit more when my husband might manage it.
So, with all of my “where have I been?” sop story out of the best way, listed here are my Top 17 Travel Moments of 2017, which I hope will inspire you to travel more!
- 1 1. Spending New Years in Bergen, Norway
- 2 2. Experiencing my very first snowfall…ever!
- 3 three. First time skiing
- 4 4. The Northern Lights
- 5 5. Husky Driving in Finnish Lapland
- 6 6. Reindeer Driving in Finnish Lapland
- 7 7. Standing on a frozen lake
- 8 eight. New nation: Russia
- 9 9. Being the one two friends at a personal recreation reserve lodge
- 10 10. Enhancing my images expertise at Vivid Sydney
- 11 11. Exploring La Perouse
- 12 12. Exploring Kangaroo Valley
- 13 13. Exploring Ku-Ring-Gai National Park
- 14 14. Celebrating our one-year wedding ceremony anniversary
- 15 15. Having fun with a romantic Winter getaway at a secluded and romantic couples resort
- 16 16. Exploring extra of the Blue Mountains
- 17 17. Flying to Melbourne in business for my birthday
1. Spending New Years in Bergen, Norway
My husband and I have been fortunate sufficient to spend our first new years overseas in Bergen, Norway. Coming from Sydney, Australia we have been expecting New Yr’s Eve celebrations to be very busy and crowded with a great deal of fireworks; what we experienced was utterly the other. New Years Eve fireworks have been small but pretty at the port in Bergen and we have been lucky sufficient that our lodge (Radisson Blu Royal Lodge Bergen) was the prime spot for viewing them! We headed outdoors to observe the fireworks at 11:45pm and there was no one to be seen until proper before midnight! A really totally different New Years expertise, but undoubtedly a refreshing one.
Things To do In Bergen During Winter
2. Experiencing my very first snowfall…ever!
Coming from Sydney, Australia we’ve zero snow aside from hours away in the mountains and I had NEVER EVER SEEN SNOW EVER until we came to Bergen! We have been so excited and felt very fortunate to skilled the very first snowfall of the season, which was really magical!
What was even more magical and spectacular was our Fjord cruise from Bergen to Montraumen was reworked into a shocking winter wonderland which was really an superb experience, though very very chilly and super windy on the boat. Here is a little video I put together of our time in Bergen, Norway. Take pleasure in! (and when you like, please subscribe to my Youtube channel, Lucas Travel!)
three. First time skiing
I feel I have repeated myself a couple of occasions concerning the disadvantage of coming from Australia where there’s nearly NO SNOW and because going snowboarding in the mountains hours away from home is SO EXPENSIVE = NO SKI BEFORE.
Considered one of our bucketlist gadgets on our RTW trip was Finnish Lapland, and let me inform you, our experiences there deserve a billion different weblog posts because it was so freaking superb.
Alas, I digress, I skiied for the very first time, for 3 days, and in abstract: Stacked it many occasions, legs have been tremendous sore, husband was my ski teacher and taught me every part he is aware of (or lack thereof solely being skiing a handful of occasions), caught to newbie slopes and ended up doing quite okay for a primary timer.
Perhaps it’s better if I clarify by means of video and throw my ski teacher husband underneath the bus somewhat:
4. The Northern Lights
This was considered one of our final highlights of the trip in Finnish Lapland! We went on a images tour to see the Northern Lights and let’s simply say it is the most magical and superb pure phenomenon I’ve EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. The pictures just don’t do it justice, and I can’t wait to see them once more (and um, attempt to get some higher photographs once I’m not freezing my fingers and toes off in -28 degrees).
5. Husky Driving in Finnish Lapland
This was my husbands favourite lapland exercise! This is undoubtedly a must do in Finnish lapland and it was one other bucketlist item.
Here’s a video of our experience that my husband put collectively!
6. Reindeer Driving in Finnish Lapland
Now this was one among my favourite actions in Rovaniemi, Finland, a town on the border of the Arctic Circle. My husband thought it was somewhat lame, however I really don’t care, reindeer are cute and have fluffy bums which I feel are also cute, they usually pull Santa’s sleigh okay?
Here’s a little video of my experience!
7. Standing on a frozen lake
Something that my mom informed me I in all probability shouldn’t do, however I did anyway (sorry mum!). In saying that, we have been very careful and didn’t really go that far out on the lake itself, we simply needed a number of pictures to say we did it! It was additionally a little bit of a novelty for us lack-of-snow-anywhere Australians.
eight. New nation: Russia
A country we had all the time needed to visit was Russia! It was a Winter wonderland as nicely and we went to St Petersburg and Moscow. Because it was Winter time, there were hardly any tourists around and you bought most well known sights and points of interest to your self!
9. Being the one two friends at a personal recreation reserve lodge
Our last stop on our RTW journey was South Africa. My husband and I flew into Johannesburg, picked up a rent automotive and drove 6 hours to Parsons Nature Reserve, a Huge 5 recreation reserve where we stayed at an attractive personal lodge by the identify of Emhosheni River Lodge. Two lovely souls (our hosts) by the names of Leandra and Dave hosted just the 2 of us at their 8 individual lodge for a number of nights and we had probably the most superb time!
Leandra and Dave cooked our meals, confirmed us around the lodge, took us on recreation drives around Parsons Nature Reserve and cared to our each want on the trip. It was so pretty to have the place all to ourselves and actually have the time to get to know our hosts and be provided with a customized, personal and genuine expertise.
10. Enhancing my images expertise at Vivid Sydney
Annually in Sydney, the town gets lit up with numerous mild projections, installations and decorations for the annual Vivid Sydney pageant. In 2016, I completed my very first night time images course and this yr was my yr to place my newly discovered expertise into apply once more and take some cool Sydney night time photographs!
11. Exploring La Perouse
What I didn’t realise, was that La Perouse was not that far from the town of Sydney, and that there was a lot to be explored. From what my husband might handle we set off on a small day journey to see a few of the key sights and points of interest across the space, and we were not disillusioned!
12. Exploring Kangaroo Valley
One other Sydney day trip that I had examine on-line before but by no means acquired the prospect to visit was Kangaroo Valley. Situated roughly 2 hours from Sydney, you can see the beautiful Fitzroy Falls, Hampden Bridge and when you drive about 10 minutes further to Bendeela Camping Floor, you may see some native Australian wildlife!
13. Exploring Ku-Ring-Gai National Park
My husband and I have explored the Royal National Park a good bit, so it was high time we selected a special nationwide park to explore for the day. Even with my husband’s health being tough, we still managed to do minimal strolling and sightseeing around the park for the day.
14. Celebrating our one-year wedding ceremony anniversary
In August of 2017, we celebrated our very first wedding ceremony anniversary, and my husband booked us a bit getaway in Blackheath at Parklands Lodges for the weekend!
15. Having fun with a romantic Winter getaway at a secluded and romantic couples resort
On account of not travelling as a lot this yr, I used to be dying to getaway from Sydney for a couple of days. I went Google looking (as you do!) and came across probably the most beautiful and secluded couples resort in Rydal, NSW (situated 15 minutes from Lithgow in the Blue Mountains) by the identify of Eagle View Escape. I was looking for a fireside, a spa and a perfect view and that’s exactly what we obtained (and so much more!). We had such an superb keep at Eagle View Escape and eit was the right getaway that was a lot needed!
16. Exploring extra of the Blue Mountains
As I discussed above in Top Travel Second quantity 15, my husband and I went for a quick Winter getaway at Eagle View Escape, and on our option to the gorgeous couples resort we managed to fit in some quick sightseeing across the Blue Mountains exploring some new and distinctive spots!
17. Flying to Melbourne in business for my birthday
To prime off my yr, my husband stunned me with a trip to Melbourne flying enterprise class with my mum for the weekend to have fun my birthday! It was a short but sweet journey away, but I feel my husband knew I used to be getting itchy ft not travelling abroad for the previous few months!
So, that rounds up my Top 17 Travel Moments of 2017. It was undoubtedly a troublesome yr, however I hope that 2018 brings complete and full well being for my husband, and hopefully much more travel adventures available! Watch this area!
In the meantime, don’t overlook to LIKE my Fb Web page: The World As Bec Sees It